I’ve seen this concept of zucchini pizza boats floating around, so thought I would try my hand at making them myself. I wanted to create a recipe that was super easy with fresh ingredients. I didn’t know how many tries it would take to make these just right – meaning not too soft (i.e. mushy) and also not undercooked (i.e. too crunchy). It had to be just perfect! Luckily, I got it right on the first try! Hopefully, you will agree. And if it’s not exactly to your liking, just know you can bake for less or more time, depending on what you’re going for. These Gluten-Free Zucchini Pizza Boats are the epitome of a healthy, clean, plant-based meal. They have only 5 ingredients and are an excellent source of folate, vitamin A, potassium, fiber, protein, Vitamin C, omega-3 fatty acids and zinc.
Let’s be real. You may at first think, no way that’s not pizza, I want the real deal. And I hear ya! I love pizza and make homemade pizza often with my hubs. We like to make our own crust or we also sometimes buy the organic crusts at Whole Foods to save some time. This recipe is not a permanent substitute for pizza! Rest assured all you pizza lovers. But, this is a great option to add in if you’re trying to cut down on carbs, gluten and want to add in more plant-based meals. It’s great to add into the pizza rotation. And the crazy thing is…it does satisfy that delicious pizza craving. With the melted cheese, tomatoes and sauce, you get that flavor you’re looking for. No guilt, no heavy feeling, and it’s a great option if you’re trying to lose weight because it helps you feel full and satisfied. Plus, zucchini are great in general for weight loss.
Gluten-Free Zucchini Pizza Boats Recipe
- 3 zucchini
- 1 large handful mixed cherry & grape tomatoes
- organic shredded cheese
- olive oil
- fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice zucchini vertically in half and place on parchment paper.
- Drizzle olive oil over top of zucchini boats. With a paper towel or spoon, spread oil evenly.
- Blend tomatoes in blender to make a fresh + simple tomato sauce.
- Scoop tomato sauce and spread onto each zucchini boat.
- Sprinkle on desired amount of cheese.
- Add sliced tomatoes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 12 minutes. Cooking times may vary due to oven and due to your preference. I found 12 minutes to be perfect to my liking!
- Add fresh chopped basil.
- You can eat it with a knife and fork or you can pick it up and eat it like a pizza slice! Enjoy!